Sunday, November 30, 2008

Kaleb Stories

December 21 and 22, 1997

On Sunday, December 21, 1997, David Alexander Smith was given a name and a blessing by his father, David Thales Smith. All of David Senior’s siblings were there with their spouses, except Rob and Steve. I was holding Kaleb during the proceedings. Great Grandma Heaton sat next to me. I told Kaleb that Grandma Heaton was my mommy and pointed to her. Kaleb responded, “Big Grandma?” After the meeting was over, someone pointed to Great Grandpa (Thales) Smith and said that he’s Papa’s (Grandpa Darrell Smith) daddy. Then Kaleb said, “Big Papa.” Then we were looking at the picture of Jesus on the wall in the Relief Society room where we held the blessing. Kaleb says, “Jesus. Jesus Smith.”

During the Sacrament Meeting we attended after the blessing of baby Davy, Kaleb sat on Darrell’s lap. Kaleb calls him Papa. I was holding baby Davy. Kaleb was coloring and took a crayon, holding it like his mother holds lip protector, and used his finger to “get lipstick and put it on” Grandma and baby Davy.

Sunday evening, we had dinner together and we opened gifts at Rich and Joy’s house. Darrell and I gave Kaleb a Fisher Price barnyard set with a big barn that opens in half and has stalls and an attic with a place to put each animal. There are also fence pieces, a farmer, a tractor with a trailer, a cow, horse, pig, sheep, and chicken. We had Kaleb open his gift first. He tore the wrapping off deliberately and was happy to see a picture on the front. He said, “Toys!” Scott helped him open the big box. He was really happy and excited to see all the pieces and played quietly with them all the rest of the time that we opened gifts. After Rich and Joy put him to bed, I went past his room to the bathroom, and he saw me. He said, “Barn, Grandma.” I went and ogt him a couple of the toys. He said, “More toys, more toys.”

The next day at Debby and Stu’s wedding reception, I was sitting and watching people dance and about ready to cry, thinking about Deb being married. Kaleb walked up to me and asked, “Dance, Grandma?” so I picked him up and we waltzed away!

No comments: