Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Trip to Texas-Sunday in Lake Jackson

I don't have any photos taken on this day. Steve drove me down south of Houston on Hwy 288 to Lake Jackson, where we lived from 1970-1981. It seems like ancient history to think back on those days. As we drove, I told Steve stories and experiences from our life in Lake Jackson so he would know some of the people we would meet at church that day. We arrived during Sunday School class for the 9 am meetings, went in and sat down. I recognized two women, Debbie Kennemer (I had called her on Saturday and she had encouraged me to come and see our old friends.) and Sandy Simiskey. After class an elderly brother passed by me and I asked him who he was. It was Jimmy Guest! He visited with me and remembered Darrell and me and went to get his wife, who works in Primary. Ollene did not remember me. Peggy Aldous updated me on her family. She looks happy and I rejoiced to see her firm in the gospel! Steve attended priesthood while I attended Relief Society. Afterwards, he took me to the gym where priesthood met and introduced me to Bruce Goodrich, who said that Darrell was his first bishop and had married him to the Middleton girl. He gave me his email address, etc. Steve and I also met Victor and Virginia Bond, James and Gail Butterfield, Jan French, Vicky and Rodney Clayton, Doris Powers and her new husband, Patrick Simiskey, Jack Perry and his son, Shelton Price, and Steve Erickson. Doris Powers was excited to meet Steve and could hardly believe he was all grown up. The Bond's told us about the mission they served in the Pacific Islands. Vicky said she heard my voice as I walked down the hall, and that she could recognize, but my face was a little difficult to see who I was. It's my hair, right? Rodney recounted how just a few days previous to our visit he had driven past our home on Pine Street and had said to himself, "There's where my first bishop used to live." He told me how he found the church and how he met Vicky and married her. He also said that Darrell had called him into the bishop's office and asked him to be the assistant scoutmaster. The following Sunday from the pulpit, he also called him to be the deacon's quorum advisor. That was quite a surprise, but Rodney has been a great member of the church, serving in most callings, including in the bishopric and on the high council. It was a blessing to me to see the people that I served, and who served me those long years ago.

No comments: